Texting contact number change mystery - something shady?

Hi experts, I'm starting with this subreddit to try to solve a mystery. An old friend got my number and texted me in October. I immediately saved the number she texted me from as a new contact, and we have texted pretty regularly since then, just catching up. Today I sent her a message to check in and she texted me back from a different number, clearly having received my earlier text. I asked if this was a better/new number, she said she didn't know what I was talking about - this (new number to me) was her number all along. I did a screen recording and showed her past texts and associated number. She is flabbergasted.

We both have iPhones. Neither have changed providers. She has been in a very difficult separation situation, though, and it is conceivable that if there is something shady about this, could have to do with that. Neither of us is particularly techy, but we know how to use a dang phone! This hasn't happened to me since first having a cell in the 90s and I've had my current number for more than 20 years. Ideas? Or is there a better subreddit for ideas on how this might happen?

submitted by /u/SarahCannah
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/O6JIeUo

Comments