Reverse Engineering EXE/HASP Checks that doesn't have strings stored in the EXE itself

Hi All

I'm in a bit of a situation. I have an incredibly old piece of software (1999), the original company is defunct and no longer around and support is non-existent.

This application uses a physical HASP plugged into the LPT port of a machine. I am trying to virtualize this original system running Server 2003, and I have tried a hardware pass through of the LPT HASP, but the software does not recognize the HASP once in the VM.

I have looked into reverse engineering software that is protected by a physical HASP, however almost everything references searching for a string for when you encounter an error, in this case, "Unable to locate security key". Unfortunately, in this software, that phrase is stored in a Visual FoxPro database and is not within the exe, so I'm unsure of how to actually go about reverse engineering something when I'm not sure what to be looking for.

Could someone help point me in right direction?

Thank you!

submitted by /u/Hovertac
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/b2RKa3h

Comments