How many cybercriminals get caught?

I was curious about this after I read into a cyber criminal hacktivist group who when doing an AMA and asked if they were worried about getting arrested they said something along the lines of, “As cyber criminals, we know it’s a matter of time before we get caught. We just delay, try to make it costly to find us, and keep the best OPSEC procedures possible. But generally I know the FBI could bust down my door at any moment. I’ve had years to accept this but we do this for our cause.”

But how true is this? Do most cyber criminals get caught? And for reference before anyone mentions this- I’m excluding those who operate outside US jurisdiction. I’m aware that most Russian and Chinese and North Korean hackers will never be caught because they’ll never be extradited. I’m specifically referring to US cyber criminals (or anyone who can be prosecuted by the US actually).

And how those who get caught, get caught? It seems like it would be difficult to catch them, no?

submitted by /u/NathanTundra
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/ES09DiO

Comments