Is it possible for someone to obtain your email through a mobile hotspot?

Last week I purchased a streaming box from Amazon meant to be used with apple CarPlay. It comes preloaded with different streaming apps and some random apps that I have no knowledge of (I assumed they had something to do with running the box). The box needs wifi to use the streaming apps, so I attempted to connect it to my phones hotspot, but it kept failing with an error message saying “ip configuration failed” and I assumed it was because my hotspot runs off of 3G, even though I have never had problems connecting to my hotspot before. I then tried to connect it to my work phones hotspot and was successful. Today however I learned that shortly after I connected it, I had numerous failed attempted logins to my works Microsoft account, all from the same ip address and location. They eventually gave up the following morning. I also haven’t used the box since I first connected it.

Is it possible that this person was able to obtain my Microsoft email when I all did was connect the box to my hotspot? I don’t believe they have my password because I have an authenticator app which sends me a notification to approve every sign in, and I received none while they were attempting to sign in. I’m wondering if I should return the box or if my email was just coincidentally compromised around the same time

submitted by /u/lonewanderingcourier
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/DElYvxp

Comments