Having Trouble Hex-Editing in Animal Crossing: Wild World

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it was the first result under "hex-editing subreddit", so I thought I'd give it a shot.

CONTEXT: I wanted to start a new save file in Animal Crossing: Wild World for the Nintendo DS, after talking and reminiscing with some friends about the game, and out of curiosity, I searched online for any rom-hacks and patches that might make the game a little more modern-play friendly (being able to get certain unlocks without interacting with other players was the big issue), but unfortunately I wasn't able to locate anything of the sort. I was, however, able to locate a texture patch that added in my favorite villager, Sasha, from the most recent title, and I was able to successfully apply the texture patch to a rom of the game, as well as use a save-editor to change the values of that patched character to match Sasha's (notably his gender and personality type), however the only thing that wasn't able to be changed was Sasha's name, which was still appearing using the old villager's name, "Dotty". There was a tutorial separate from the texture patch on how to change a villager's name via hex-editing, however the tutorial is quite bare-bones and results in an odd error occurring.

PROBLEM: In the tutorial, I'm instructed to open the rom in a New Super Mario Bros.-specific hex-editing app (I have opened the rom in a generic hex-editor and the values are the same, so it's not a problem with this specific app), locate the text string for "Dotty" this name, change it to "Sasha", and it should reflect in-game with the new name. I did this, however upon booting the game, instead of "Sasha", the game is displaying the text-string "Sahber". Upon reloading the hex-editor on an untouched rom, I noticed that the text-string for "Dotty" does not actually display "Dotty" in the editor, despite displaying it as "Dotty" in the game. I put "Dotty" into a text-to-hex converter and got the result 44 6F 74 74 79, however the actual hex value for the name "Dotty" in the game is 44 6F 92 11 FF. (As a side note, there is an item in the game called "Dotty's pic", and the hex for the word "Dotty" in that item name does use 44 6F 74 74 79). As such, I believe the issue is that the string that is used to pull up "Dotty" as a name in any context (in menus, on the map, for the villager's dialogue box, etc.) does not use normal hex conversion, and as such simply replacing it with "Sasha" (53 61 73 68 61) results in the bytes pulling up different letters in-game that result in "Sahber".

So, basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I would need to replace 44 6F 92 11 FF with, which displays as "Dotty" in-game, in order for it to display "Sasha" instead.

submitted by /u/ljbtqiaplus
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/T6F5EHP

Comments