Voices coming from PC

I'll preface this by saying I fully understand this quite likely sounds moronic, but I came home to an audible conversation coming from my PC. Could distinctly hear a female voice talking to someone. I was confused at first, but sat down at the PC and confirmed it was indeed coming from it. Moved the mouse around, and the conversation faded. I like to think I'm not security illiterate (programmer for 30 years) and run a clean system, and would have otherwise said with an almost 100% certainty that my PC could not be compromised in any way. Also, just to tick off the obvious:

  • No chrome tabs were open that could be playing ads or videos.
  • No background apps.
  • No games open.
  • No open remote desktop sessions.
  • No signal/skype/teams or anything of the sort.
  • No, I'm not hearing voices in my head, they were 100% coming from the PC. I live in a 4th floor apartment with good ventilation, and do not have any sources of carbon monoxide that I can think of.

My speakers are somewhat high end MTMs so I assume they should not be picking up any random interference, but suppose this could not be ruled out entirely?

None of the malware scans picked up anything.

What else to check? I'm tempted to wipe the SSD and do a clean install of everything. Though I never installed anything "questionable" to begin with.

submitted by /u/jbak31
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/YM1bIKy

Comments