Looking for a Mentor

For starters: I think it's a coinflip whether or not this post is against the rules. So mods, if you delete this post, I would appreciate anyone letting me know a more appropriate place to post this.

For background: I initially learned Java 8 years ago and it got me hooked on computer science. I've gone down a traditional path for the most part as I now do back-end IT work focused on cloud migration, though have done a number of ad hoc projects that go beyond that and worked in a more data-analyst-esque position before I ended up in this job 8 months ago. I have professional experience in Python, R, SQL (Redshift, SQL Server, MySQL, and MS Access for whatever that might count for...), VBA, and some familiarity with bash and PowerShell to the extent that I could use the internet to help me automate some recurring processes.

I discovered ethical hacking recently and I think it's something I want to pursue. But, if I'm being honest, learning this feels pretty daunting and I'm not really sure where to begin (I've got a Linux VM booted up at the very least).

More or less, I'm looking for someone with experience that I can learn from and get support from. If anyone is interested and wants to chat, I'd be more than happy to compensate with my own hourly wage if it becomes long-term (my hope) .

Really, I'm just looking for quality resources for a complete beginner because, while I can code, I'm definitely lacking in the knowledge required here.

submitted by /u/BeanPaddle
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/Q2yAiek

Comments