I received and email with all of my saved passwords on my PC and a screenshot of the desktop. What to do next?

I received and email with all of my saved passwords on my PC and a screenshot of the desktop. What to do next?

Hello! Dumb me installed a .exe mod for a game that contained a virus a while ago (2023). It wiped out most of my personal data on the PC and added the extension ".hgfu". I tried to find out what type of malware it was and keys to crack it but it was a modern version of the virus which couldn't be decoded. Removed all malware with Avast. Today, 7 months after the incident, I received this email on only 2 of my mailboxes. Apparently the guy sent me all of my saved passwords in the Opera browser and that's it. Changed all of them but I'm willing to know what to do next to prevent more things being stolen in the future by this malware and if it could affect me right now by sending my passwords to my contacts.

Also, I'm curious if they can still do me more harm even though I wiped out the malware from my PC that day, changed all of my passwords and added two factor authentification. The only thing that I didnt do is reinstall Windows.

Thank you very much!

submitted by /u/MarcoHD77
[link] [comments]


from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/1wdHWfD

Comments