airodump-ng not seeing any devices

Can someone else help me out for why nothing comes up for my wireless adaptor?

I turn my adapter (Realtek RTL8812AU 2.4 & 5 Ghz) into monitor mode and then find my wifi connection on it using airmondump-ng wlan0 without issues.

However when I do targeted packet sniffing I can never find any of the devices connected to my wifi. I have tried waiting a while but to no avail and I am 100% sure there are many devices connected to it at the moment like my computer. I once was able to see my playstation on there but not anymore.

Here is my commands and output:

root@kali:~# airodump-ng --bssid [WIFI MAC ADDRESS] --channel 11 wlan0

CH 11 ][ Elapsed: 30 s ][ 2024-02-22 22:51

BSSID PWR RXQ Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID

[WIFI MAC ADDRESS] -16 23 71 24 0 11 195 WPA2 CCMP PSK Starry

BSSID STATION PWR Rate Lost Frames Notes Probes

[WIFI MAC ADDRESS] [PLAYSTATION MAC ADDRESS] -39 0 - 1e 0 9

[2]+ Stopped airodump-ng --bssid B8:D5:26:F9:9E:0D --channel 11 wlan0

root@kali:~#

(Stopped after over 10 mins of waiting).

And it looks like this now:

root@kali:~# airodump-ng --bssid [WIFI MAC ADDRESS] --channel 1 --write test wlan0

23:32:58 Created capture file "test-06.cap".

CH 1 ][ Elapsed: 2 mins ][ 2024-02-22 23:35

BSSID PWR RXQ Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID

[WIFI MAC ADDRESS] -25 52 674 118 0 1 195 WPA2 CCMP PSK Starry

BSSID STATION PWR Rate Lost Frames Notes Probes

Quitting...

No Playstation data and just no data on anything that is currently connected to the wifi i am targeting.

Sometimes however when I try a different network it does show up with different devices, I did a mac lookup and I believe this device is an amazon echo.

root@kali:~# sudo airodump-ng --channel 9 --bssid 8C:3B:AD:D4:C8:3C --write capture wlan0

CH 9 ][ Elapsed: 1 min ][ 2024-02-26 10:52 ][ fixed channel wlan0: 1

BSSID PWR RXQ Beacons #Data, #/s CH MB ENC CIPHER AUTH ESSID

[OTHER WIFI MAC ADDRESS] -50 0 18 0 0 9 130 WPA2 CCMP PSK NETGEAR20

BSSID STATION PWR Rate Lost Frames Notes Probes

[OTHER WIFI MAC ADDRESS] [AMAZON ECHO MAC ADDRESS] -58 0 -12 0 1

So it can sometimes scan items but never computers or advanced devices, only super basic ones.

I also did kill any processes that run on the background which might interfere with airodump-ng by doing:

ifconfig wlan0 down

airmon-ng check kill

iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor

ifconfig wlan0 up

And still no luck.

And I have specified the band to all options with no results either.

submitted by /u/picklefire786
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/XvZb0rj

Comments