Is it possible to show up as a local device when connected remotely?

So I gave my wannabe hacker friend the root linux password and username to my machine (I know stupid me) for server maintenance. He did some stuff but another thing I noticed was that a local address that I definitely didn't use connected to my server. So anyway I'm just wondering if its possible to do something like that (the IP wasn't even in the address space of my router somehow). I also saw a device that may be his connected to my router. So if he did manage to somehow show up as a local device on my network how can I remove that access, I also may just be paranoid and it's something else as I'm not experienced in networking. If that is the case how do I revoke access (I already blocked his IP and changed the password but I'm still not convinced)? I also can't see the commands he ran since he used tmux. I know this is a loaded question but thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/LotosProgramer
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/wq3BYln

Comments