How did my dad get scammed?

My dad got scammed last night by a WhatsApp clone. A relative on my dad's contact list messaged him over WhatsApp asking him for money in an emergency. My dad didn't really question it as it appeared genuine. (Same number , same profile pic, same conversation tone) . He transferred the money to an account name he hadn't heard of. Granted he made mistakes and there were red flags but how was the hacker able to clone the WhatsApp and have the same number as the relative? Is that even possible? I'm trying to get my head around it because once you change phones you have to put your number in that's associated with that WhatsApp account. Can anyone shed light on this?
Thanks

submitted by /u/Gullible_Platypus767
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/JQtGHgE

Comments