Detecting Keyloggers

I recently received an updated employee handbook from my company, and unlike most people, I thoroughly read it. A few things didn't make a lot of sense, but there was one section that really caught my eye. I won't quote it, but it essentially was telling us that we do not and should not expect privacy on our work computers, even with password protection. My immediate thought was that they are monitoring our keystrokes. How else could we not expect something with password protection to be private, assuming of course it's done correctly. I know this is not unheard-of for companies to do this, and I never expect privacy when connected on any network, keylogging though seemed a bit invasive.

I mentioned my concerns to my department head, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. My main concern is that I do expect privacy on some things, like passwords to my personal accounts and various logins. Yes I could just not do this on company equipment, but the fact is I use a password manager that runs on a remote server I control. That's the one thing I actually only care about because it has sensitive information.

I just want to know if they are in fact keylogging us, because I highly doubt they would tell me the truth if they were. I went through all the active processes in task manager, and didn't see anything unusual, but I also would not expect it to be that easy to detect either. Any advice on what I could do to achieve this? To make it more difficult, they have stripped all employees of admin privileges so I can't install any software or run administrative tasks. I will, however, be given admin rights briefly on a PC that I need to setup multiple software packages on, so I will have a small window for running admin tasks.

It may be an impossible task, I just wanted to throw this out here and see what sticks.

submitted by /u/static8
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/hqc62ks

Comments