At what point in learning pentesting would be the best time to learn coding?

I'm a threat hunter by day, and by night, I'm studying to be a pentester. I'm at the point where I've passed the eJPT cert and am going through THM's "Junior Pentesting" room (towards the end) and was gonna go to the "Offensive Pentesting" path next. After, the OSCP and PNPT.

The thing is, so far, coding really hasn't come up much yet other than in the exploitation phase. But even then, it's mostly just modifying pre-written code with the basic parameters like local/remote IPs and all. I want to learn about malware/exploit development and eventually be a red teamer for day job.

I struggle with multi-tasking/learning and coding. I know it's something I need to learn, so when I do, I plan to dive into it and do pretty much nothing but that for a couple years maybe. At what point would be the best to pivot completely over to the coding area of education? Would it be after getting a solid foundation as a pentester? I figured after the OSCP and PNPT certs at the very least. But when do you think?

submitted by /u/error_therror
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/tfWgpbi

Comments