Hardware Hacking (Adding new features)

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in modifying a TP-Link WiFi extender to add new functionality. As a starting point, I'd like the power LED on the device to blink three times whenever a new device connects to the extender.

I have already successfully extracted the firmware from the device. Now, I'm considering the following approaches:

  1. Should I write a kernel driver?

  2. Should I reverse engineer the existing code to identify the function that's triggered when a new device connects, and then modify it to control the GPIO for blinking the LED?

I'd appreciate any guidance on the best approach and the necessary steps to achieve this.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/nyyirs
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/PYkdvCq

Comments