Someone sent a threatening e-mail from my own account. Should I be worried?

They have quite empty threats and I don't really care about them (apparently they have a video file of me, but my camera is completely covered, so there's no possible way they could have recorded me), but the e-mail was in fact sent from my own email adress, which kinda freaks me out. I don't care about his threats but knowing that someone has my personal data does scare. Should I be scared, or I'm safe? It was really my own address not just a fake one (although my account registered the message as a spam). How could I retrieve my personal data? Do they have my e-mail and other accounts now?

Edit: Okay, I checked it among my sent and draft messages, but it's not there, so it probably wasn't actually sent from my account because otherwise it should be in the sent folder. Am I correct? It's also kind of weird to me that it was handled as a spam, which I don't think would have been the case if it had been sent from my actual account. Am I right about these?

submitted by /u/illthrowitaway94
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/KU0dZNs

Comments