Does DUN=0 still work for preventing hotspot use detection in Android devices?

The title has the question. I looked up the last post (6 years ago) regarding the use of DUN=0 to tell an Android phone it doesn't need to create a separate gateway for Tethered traffic, but was wondering if it still works.

My reasoning: My carrier (T-Mobile) provides no option for an unlimited hotspot, otherwise I would GLADLY pay them for the service and be done with it. The highest amount of data I can use is up to 100GB. Once I hit that cap? My connection is throttled down to 256kbps.

I typically use around 150GB of data per month, so the last 50GB is unusable at 256kbps. The alternative? Parsec into my computer and use it through the phone (Data use originating from the phone is unthrottled, unlimited, and given the highest priority), which is pushing 400+GB per month if I do it that way via remote desktop. This is a disgusting amount of waste being pushed through the network.

I don't want to unnecessarily waste network resources if I can help it, so I am wanting to try and prevent my phone from setting up a second gateway that's used to track tethering. It boils down to this: Use 150GB a month with standard use, or use 400GB per month because I have to bypass my hotspot restriction via desktop access.

Mods: I apologize if this post isn't allowed, I did read the rules. The standard carrier forums won't allow you to talk about this because it's a gray area. I'm not doing this to be malicious, I just want to prevent having to use 400GB of data per month because my hotspot is useless after 100GB if I'm running things locally on my laptop.

submitted by /u/Aikarion
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/RqEGnP9

Comments