Someone spoofing my company's number and texted me non-malicious links. Why?

omeone spoofing my company's number and texted me non-malicious links. Why?

I got a spoofed text with w non-malicious links and the text portion was informing me of my company's recent name change. (It is a fairly large organization of local government). I used urlscan.io and saw that the links were a youtube page and vimeo link. (The vimeo link was shortened bit.ly type link but I used a url expander to see what it was).

The links were videos from my company's YouTube and Vimeo pages regarding the company's name change. Pretty benign.

The videos were uploaded a month ago but I am getting a text about it randomly at 7pm today. The number that texted me also belongs to my company but it is a toll-free number when I google it I have never received texts from my work the few years i have worked there.

What is the purpose of spoofing a text with no malicious link? (I never actually clicked it but urlscan.io shows screenshots of the page).

submitted by /u/posetitel
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/wmdZiLH

Comments