Cracking RAR file password?

First, forgive me if this is the wrong subreddit for this. If it is, please steer me towards the right one so I won't waste anyone else's time.

I recently downloaded something from a newsgroup that, once the initial files were extracted from, produced one single password-protected file. Also included within the initial files was a text document directing you to the website where the password can be found. However, as this was an old file (2014), the site is long gone. So now I have a file I'm desperate to extract, and no clue as to how. I've looked into some of the tricks as to how to remove it (in command prompt or opening the RAR file in Notepad, etc.), but no success yet. I looked into offline (and online) RAR password cracking programs, but the one I'm currently trying says I have an estimated 6 years remaining.

Does anyone have any RAR-file password cracking programs suggestions? Or methods that are fairly simple and won't take months to decrypt? Anything and everything would be helpful. Thank you all so much!

submitted by /u/NoFear6061
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/vKk6sdt

Comments