Cybersec skills to master

Hi everyone, its almost 7 months I'm employed as Penetration Tester. I was used to study stuff on HtB, TryHackMe and Portswigger mostly. I have a CS degree but we never talked about cybersec in any course so all the things I know are "made by myself". Fact is that now that I'm employed I really feel like a gigantic mismatch between studying on those portals and real life engages. I often also feel like overwhelmed by the montitude of cybersec topics to cover and always feel like there is someone better in anything. Ofc I don't pretend to be a god tier pentester in 7 months of carreer but sometimes I ask myself if it is worth to put this much effort on this job acutally (?).
Today a manager suggested to all the new employees to "build the house one brick per time" where each brick is a "topic or set of skills".

So after this little liberatory speech I'm going to ask you something:
how do you keep yourself motivated? how often do you take time to study? how deep should I go on each topic (considering I only do infrastructural, webapp and api)? what are the topics that you enjoy the most and are the most enjoyable to study and learn? I'd like to find something to get expert on but for example webapps have like infinite suites of vulnerabilities, should I focus on anyone specifically or a general wide sight on the most frequents?

I hope I explained myself the best and didn't make too much english errors xD

submitted by /u/JollyTune9809
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/DaN6cCp

Comments