Is it Over?

Hello fellow (ethical) hacking chads. My question today is, is it over?

I'm a 'student' (self taught) of cyber security. I'm like 1k hours deep into learning mainly red team things, my overall goal is the OSCP. When I started this journey a year ago, AI was not a thing like it is today. There was no Chat-GPT you could log in and ask questions to, AI had not begun to impact society like it is today. I was super dedicated back then because I've heard a lot of career options really start to present themselves if you obtain the OSCP, and I was finally motivated to do something in life that I enjoyed. I was putting in a ton of hours, was really excited about learning new things. However, for the past month now my motivation and excitement has just vanished. I feel like with how quickly AI is developing, I've just been wasting my time learning everything because deep down I can't help but believe that within the next 5 years - a lot of what we are all learning is going to become obsolete. I feel like AI systems will become smarter than the average hacker, making breaking into systems and hacking in general a thing of the past as it just becomes nearly impossible... I feel like AI is really going to disrupt everything in ways we can't even really begin to understand yet. So I'm like honestly, not too far out from being able to take the OSCP and pass it. But I just cannot get myself to finish. The lurking thought of becoming obsolete and having to find a new job in like 5 years is what is preventing me from finishing. Does anybody else feel this way? I can feel society literally changing dramatically before our very eyes, and the uncertainty is preventing me from making any decisions on what I should works towards going into the future.

So my question is, how do you all stay motivated and continue forward knowing that, in Zelda terms, the moon is eventually going to crash down inevitably?

Is the OSCP still worth it?

Will the job market begin to vastly shrink with each passing month, as everybody adjusts?

We're heading into the future at an alarming rate, and it's got me spooked.

submitted by /u/gggggggggg5525
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/YPKZAhm

Comments