Got robbed by spear fishing, how to avoid further harm (e.g. black mailing)

I got robbed for all the money on my account. I was stupid and fell for a well-timed targeted phishing attack. I logged in on the phishing site with bank credentials. After that, my money intantly disappeared.

Not long after, I got a call from my bank (later turned out it wasn't them, so probably the attacker). They knew my address. They asked me to go to a bank to freeze everything, then go to a SPECIFIC police station (the station in the district I live in). By then, We've already dealt with the bank, so - naïvely - we went to that specific police station.

Nothing happened since then. I probably lost the money, I accepted that, but what I'm worried about is the call and that specific police station. I'm not sure about the purpose of it. Only winning time by manipulating me into not calling but travelling to the police? Or maybe more, he knew my address after all. What do you think? Should I be afraid? Maybe he was there and collected some more data about me?

What should I do to prevent further harm? They probably have some very personal data of me, my address for sure, who knows what else? I don't have anything left, but what if they start targeting my loved ones, old people especially? Is there a realistic chance to this? How can I protect myself?

Any advice is very welcome! Thank you for reading!

submitted by /u/Joblivion24
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/g50ik8y

Comments