Possible phishing/social engineering

Hey y’all, first I apologize if this isn’t the right place for this, but it seems like the best fit. Sometimes I’ll get an sms or a signal message from an unknown number with some benign message, something like a reminder that they have an event next week, or confirmation of plans to meet up. I do the neighborly thing and inform them they have a the wrong number and most of the time they thank me and move on, but a couple of times the person has replied in an effort to continue the conversation. It feels scammy, or like an attempt at some social engineering, especially if they say something like how “it must be fate”, like the one I got today.

What I want to know is, is this a common scam/example of social engineering? What defies the attacker want to get out of this interaction?

submitted by /u/zipperkiller
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/5nP9xNy

Comments