How to get ChromeOS to boot to Linux and keep all files.

 I often buy computers and boot them into Linux for fun. Recently I got a Acer Chromebook from 2017. ChromeOS prevents booting from anything. I’ve done several hours of research but can not find much. I have entered developer mode and took off the option of verify boot. This erased all data which I’m fine with but would prefer to keep it for experience reasons. I was wondering if there is a workaround, such as if putting the hard drive into another computer would allow booting or file viewing. Normally on windows computers I can just boot into Linux then remove windows passwords and go back to windows to access everything, but ChromeOS prevents it. 

The Chromebook was bought legally from a resell shop. This is mainly for experience, this is for educational purposes for me and others.

In short, how do I boot a Chromebook into Linux if it is locked out by the old previous owners, and the developer mode is still requiring me to have a local login so I can’t use that method.

submitted by /u/KarmaXD_
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/85h0zxQ

Comments