Community college freshman here; what's employment like in the field and what should I look for?

I know this sub probably gets bombarded with these types of post so I sincerely apologize but I'm just very confused. I have no clue where to go about actually working and not being a leech on society, and I don't really wanna do fast food stuff since I feel like it'd just be a waste of time and wouldn't do much on my resume for my worklife post-college besides bloat it (and also, having worked in Arby's before, god I feel for you cashiers out there).

Anyway, for those currently in "the field" (I know 'cybersecurity' is about as descriptive as 'medicine' in terms of how broad it is), where should I go about starting? What internships do you recommend? Maybe not specific ones, but what should I go about looking for?

I have alot of experience with TryHackMe, HackTheBox, etc. I was programming since I was 13 I believe; I have my own website set up to act as my resume. I have a github full of some personal projects (5 I think? definitely not too much). I managed to hack my highschool before I graduated (got admin creds and uploaded a Dave Grohl shitpost to every person's personal drive on the network; nothing malicious)

I'm probably not gonna include that last bit and I don't know why I included it (I'm a filthy humble bragging narcissist)

Anyway, in all seriousness, the point is that I do have some experience when it comes to "hacking"; no certs but I think my knowledge and "proof" of it may help resume-wise? Not sure. I also played in alot of CTFs from ctftime before college and depression started getting in the way.

"Hacking" isn't the entirety of cybersecurity obviously, but I don't know. Genuinely have no clue what to look for or what to expect. Is there any recommendations on what to search for? I could probably find my answer by googling. And I did, sort of. Tried googling but I was just confused and felt like I wasn't a good choice for the topics I saw on indeed and whatnot.

This is a lengthy post. I shall stop now. Sorry for bothering y'all if I did.

FIN

submitted by /u/Cold-Ad6263
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/kE5CcWm

Comments