Looking to get into a laptop with Windows 8.1 installed.

Hi, I apologize if this is the right post to make on here.

I’m currently trying to get into my deceased grandfather’s laptop for his widowed wife. It had Windows 8.1 installed.

The laptop has an attached Hotmail account but he didn’t leave any passwords for this particular email. My initial impressions were that since this is an older version of windows, I might be able to run a boot drive via USB and somehow get in. It does have a DVD/CD reader inside the laptop.

Would there be any other way to get into the laptop without knowing the password? The files are semi-important to get into (if even possible at this point).

I already sent a request to Microsoft Support with all information I could scatter. Any help or advice would be well-appreciated. Cheers.

submitted by /u/jazzhands_7
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/uAYcEU1

Comments