Shower Thought: Are Inverse Programs a Thing?

I had an interesting thought/ idea in the shower, and am coming to Reddit to learn if it's a thing and discuss with any one who's interested. (I'm also not sure this is the best sub for this, but I can't think of any others.)

I'm not quite sure what to call this idea, so I'm going to just go with inverse programming.

The idea/ question is, once everything is boiled down to just ones and zeros, is here any program or piece of data that when every single bit is flipped (the inverse) it produces something coherent but different from the original piece of information (data/instruction).

I assume this is the basis of simple encryption. Flip bits based on a repeated key of bits.

Is deeper encryption just layers of more keys that flip more bits?

Is it possible to encrypt something in such a way that it appears to be a functioning thing (program, photo, text etc) but when passed through decryption it changes in to a different program, image, text etc.?

Could you effectively hide viruses withing encryption. Say like a booby trap. If someone tries to brute force your encrypted file, and tried the wrong a wrong key, it will decrypt it into something harmful?

Am I a genius? A moron who has no idea what their talking about? Or someone somewhat intelligent who's needlessly reinventing the wheel?

Any thoughts? I assume I'm sure something like this exists, I just couldn't find it. Anyone have a direction to point me in or a keyword to search for more info?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Agent34e
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/GRzmiEw

Comments