Is it illegal to access an app's images and source code for non-profit, non-malicious goals?

I'm part of a competitive community centered around teamgames in a mobile game, and currently trying to make a discord bot to automate some of the most tedious processes we usually perform on game screenshots.

I would like to be able to create images similar to those in game, both as a more familiar output for players and to generate arbitrary labeled images to train a classification IA on.

I have contacted the game's community manager, who shared me an incomplete google drive of weirdly scaled images and told me he'd ask the devs about the map-generating algorithm but I shouldn't expect an answer. About the missing images from the drive, he explained that was what the devs had given him and he didn't have any better. That was half a year ago, and I haven't heard from him yet. Overall, it looks to me like there is no opposition to me having those images and code, but they are not very well organized nor willing to bother.

Under these circumstances, is it illegal for me to try and obtain the app's images and source code?

Also, morally, if I were to make my bot and give the users an option to give me some money, like the other discord bots, would it be right to take money for work that is partly not mine?

submitted by /u/a1b2c3d4e5f6g8
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/5JbhpIz

Comments