How much work goes into a kernel exploit?

So. Recently, the very talented members of the PS4 jailbreaking community managed to get us our first new WebKit exploit in over three years. It's great, having the ability to run my own programs on my PS4. However, this is only the first step.

Everyone is wanting a kernel exploit. This would be the first step towards custom firmware and truly unlocking the PS4. However, I'm curious... How much work goes into a kernel exploit?

I know we aren't getting it any time soon, but if we were to get it, how much work would need to be done to get it?

(Keep in mind that the most IT knowledge is on system hardening, and preventing hacking so actually hacking is outside of what I know...)

submitted by /u/forcedreset1
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3yXgcIk

Comments