I keep getting emails stating that there was unusual sign in activities on my Microsoft account. I was skeptical at first, but now I have reason to believe the worst. Have I been "hacked"?

I've actually been receiving these emails for quite some time now, but ignored them because I thought it was phishing, or whatever. The emails look to have came from the same email address: ACCOUNT-SECURITY-NOREPLY@ACCOUNTPROTECTION.MICROSOFT(.)COM. I don't ever recall making a Microsoft account, unless it was something I needed to do when I first got my laptop and I just don't remember? I decided to go straight to the Microsoft log-in web page at login.live.com and reset my password. After password reset, I went to "recent activity" and saw that there were indeed multiple recent activities made onto the account within the past month or so, which includes: multiple unusual activity detected, multiple successful sign ins from different countries, automatic sync....like wtf? Countries ranging from the UK to Nepal to the Netherland, back to the U.S. So, what does all of this mean? Where do I go from here? What else do I need to do? I've already reset my password, as I said. Does this also mean my laptop has been hacked? I know that sounds like a silly question, but now I'm paranoid and anxious, unfortunately. I see the words "successful sign in" and "automatic sync" and makes me believe that these people (or person) were able to see my personal info and everything I was doing....

submitted by /u/wutevs-
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3FUIANO

Comments