How to hack a surefeed microchip pet feeder?

I have two cats. One is a fat ass, one is eating responsibly. I bought a connected feeder with a microchip reader and a scale.

I want to be able to program the feeder such that a given cat isn't allowed to eat more than X grams of food a day, and not more than Y grams of food in the last hour.

The only thing it does right now is to allow access to a set of chips, without quantity or time regulation. Then it notifies me of the time and quantity, thanks to a hub.

How would I reprogram it? Where do I find ressources about the subject? I can imagine it involving a Pi, opening the feeder and hooking up the pi to it somehow. And then, I'd have to figure out the API to control the thing and get access to the required data?

Looks like a lot of fun but I don't know where to begin

submitted by /u/UnDemiNem
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3FN8MK7

Comments