Brave browser is open source but still seems shady, what's the catch??

I understand that open source is almost equivalent to secure. But still there's some chance that an open source piece of software could still have malicious code injected into it. So should I be trusting brave browser to not act like a malware or even a spyware??

Here's something I noticed, I have brave rewards activated and it shows ads to me in the windows notification tray. But most of the times when I am looking at something static (Like reading a pdf or even a youtube video that was paused) for prolonged periods of time I have noticed that I don't get the usual brave ad notification in my windows notification panel. As soon as I move the mouse even slightly its like the brave browser knows almost instantaneously, the ad notification pops out immediately with zero delay. I don't have alot of technical knowledge but it popped some questions into my mind: Is brave tracking my screen?? Not just inside the brave browser but even when the browser is minimised or is just idly open in the background?? Is it tracking stuff like my mouse movements and keystrokes?? Is it ok for a browser (that claims to be open source and privacy centric) to track my mouse movements to check if I am still actively looking at the screen and if it's the right time to show me ads?? If someone has reviewed the brave code recently please can you tell me if this kind of behaviour is intended or does this qualify as shady??

submitted by /u/DreadLord0309
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3cZ8wLM

Comments