Locking down a PC/Laptop, unlocking only with a key.

Greetings,

I'm using my laptop frequently (alongside with my PC, but that's not so important in this story) in a workplace park, which is a little bit outside of our building. Many times I had to run for some papers inside the building, and I had to let my laptop outside, and I'm afraid one day someone will just randomly take it (since... that place is visited by many tourists and people). I'm more productive outside, the laptop doesn't costs so much, but still I wouldn't waste like 10 days of work just to get another laptop. Is there a way, IN CASE (hopefully never) someone takes my laptop, to lock it from my PC (whatever, home PC or office PC), and so that the only way for them to unlock is is to put the password in (and maybe show a message or something).

Why I don't want to use the Windows default password thingy? I hate waiting at every login, startup to input my password, cuz as I said, I frequently just leave it like that, and I don't need security 24/7, I would like to activate that password thing just when I access it from another PC.

TLDR: A remote software that locks your PC, and can only be unlocked when the user inputs a password

Thanks!

submitted by /u/D1stRU3T0R
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3jPg7Ag

Comments