I want to catch a scammer who had been ripping off my brother until he died last month. He's been dead less than 4 weeks and this person is now already hitting me up for money. Any ideas on how to get info on them to turn over to LE without scaring them away?

My older brother was 53 and lonely. He died of a heart attack at the end of August, and since then I have found out that he was being scammed by at least two people. The first person had conned him into sending over $5K to "invest in cryptocurrency". Soon after he passed away, I found this person on Facebook and I quickly scared them off by saying my brother's probate attorney needed to get in touch with them to discuss liquefying his investments. Within minutes, I got blocked on FB and that's the only connection I had.

Now I am being texted by someone who claims they were my brother's fiancee. He never told me he was engaged or even seeing anyone, but that's not out of his character; he was very introverted and private.

I got his "fiancee"'s phone number when she called his phone shortly after he died. At that point, all she would say was that they were engaged. But now, less than a month after he died, she has begun asking me for money. Her story is: she is starting an online business and my brother had helped her finance it, and now that he's gone she needs help keeping her business afloat. She had the gall to include the line, "it would make your brother sad if our business failed."

I haven't scared this one away yet. All I have is a phone number. Any ideas on ways I could get closer to finding out this scumbag's identity? I would like to report them to the authorities for online fraud.

submitted by /u/izimand
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3CG36zX

Comments