SMS Phishing Scams Using Subdomains - Is a virtual machine enough to safely check these links out?

A little background, these scams are very popular in the UK. They always originate from UK mobile phone numbers. I have a few questions based off of this:

  1. Will the owner of the phone number always be the scammer? Perhaps the SMS can be resent from a victim's phone number.

  2. As the title says: If I wanted to safely check out what this website/scam consisted of, is a virtual machine enough to prevent against any possible dangers?

Many Thanks in advance, I will also be googling the answers myself today (but if anyone feels compelled to share also that would be great)

Edit: I should explain that I am not interested in scamming people, since the pandemic I have been the recipient of several of these scams. (I was worried that it sounds like I want to do this anonymously!)

submitted by /u/4xQFk9
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/38kJfsP

Comments