Security Feature on US Mint Silver/Gold Bullion Coins

Security Feature on US Mint Silver/Gold Bullion Coins

This topic combines two hobbies; Coins and hacking. Hacking using the meaning of figuring out how things work. Figuring out why does what I explain later, enhance security. I'm a collector and also very curious in what the US Mint does to prevent counterfeiting. Just like BEP and paper money.

As you can see in the photo, below the date "2021" is a "notch". I would call it a missing reed. Without counting the number of reeds myself, I can't find anywhere that shows what the reed count should be. If you're not familiar with the language of coins, check out this.

2021 American Silver Eagle Type 2

I've scoured the coin collecting world for any more information but no one seems to have any idea on the purpose of the "missing reed". The simplest explanation is that it will make counterfeiting more difficult. Perhaps each year, the missing read is in a different location.

So this is why I created this post here. I need sceptics, people with knowledge of anti-counterfeiting techniques on other foreign coins. Even tin-foil theories.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/digispin
[link] [comments]


from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/2VakSuQ

Comments