Confusion as to where people get their knowledge from.

I hope this does not fall under Rule 3, if it does, I'm sorry.

I started looking into programming a few months ago and it messed with me, because I didn't understand anything. I would go to internet forums about IT and was hit with an amount of jargon that I've never encountered in my life. Even fields like electrical engineering or physics don't come close to the amount of technical terms there are in IT. It felt like people spoke another language.

Alright I thought, no surprise. You're new to this and even though you used computers all your life, there is obviously way more to it. Now you just gotta learn and with time, you will understand what people are talking about.

I started off by reading 4 books about Python and doing some projects, then I looked at HTML and CSS and my next plan was to move to JavaScript.

Now, if I revisit the IT forums that I didn't understand a few months ago I still don't understand anything :)

Looking at posts or online articles about hacking, people always say "If you want to start hacking, look into how computers are built, a programming language and learn about HTML and stuff."

Well I guess I know a programming language now with python, and I could write a brute force program or a phishing program. But this seems to be extremely surface level stuff. With HTML I don't even know how that would help me with hacking, since I understood HTML as something that only holds the content of the website and nothing that has to do with security at all.

Or in summary: I don't know how people get into that stuff. I want to. I'm willing to read 100s of books and invest my time into researching this stuff all day.

But I don't know where to start with my research. It seems like once I learnt that one thing, there are hundreds of other things I don't understand at all.

submitted by /u/hahahalookatmexd
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/2Vg30id

Comments