Hacking my 4G Hotspot Dongle from China

Hacking my 4G Hotspot Dongle from China

So I bought this sketchy 4G Hotspot Dongle with Wifi broadcast capability from Amazon, and the vendor was sloppy enough to send me a used model with a ripped box and the password hadn't even been reset to default. I was pretty salty because these devices are hard to find, and I couldn't even test it to verify I hadn't been bamboozled with regard to the mobile operating bands (B2, B4 vs B1, B3) of the device.

I've never really been too interested in hacking, but it's my dongle, and I want it now. After doing a brief search on how "hacking" is done, I realized that most WPA2 AP attacks require you to intercept a handshake occurring between the AP and a client. There are no clients in this case, so I found this article (https://miloserdov.org/?p=2100) concerning hacking an AP without clients, but the author mentions that this is specifically for 802.11i/p/q/r protocol routers with "roaming". According to the cardboard box, my dubious dongle is not one of those (802.11b/g/n).

I'm wondering what attack vector I should chose to crack my client-less dongle. I did use a scanner thing to confirm that it is using WPA2 PSK authentication, and it seems logical that I should try to crack it with a "rainbow table" or a "dictionary attack". Again, I'm definitely no hacker, but I did complete my CCNA a few months ago and I haven't cleaned my room in over a month so I think I have a solid foundation.

Can anyone offer some guidance? Thank you for your time!

picture if it helps

submitted by /u/Sad-Cryptographer454
[link] [comments]


from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3ruGc8T

Comments