Employer hacked for a second time

I work for a UK based SME. We have now been hacked for a second time in 3 years.

The first time around, they got in via poorly set up firewall. All they did was to encrypt the server which the firewall rule allowed access to. Server was rebuilt, never heard from any hackers. I believe the firewall rule was amended to be more secure

Last week, hackers got in and locked down a few servers from what I can tell. I haven't been told much this time around. I know the hackers sent a message asking to go to a website to make payment. I don't know if any payment was made. I also don't know how many servers were affected, or how they got in

Both times the employer has not publicised the breaches to anyone. Is it normal/legal for employers to try to hide this?

submitted by /u/bigweeduk
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3fhDKA4

Comments