Advice on hardware upgrades

Pen testing and network security is something I used to be interested in 10-15 years ago, but back then I was unsuccessful at learning by Googling "How to hack." I was recently introduced to HackTheBox and am watching CyberMentor's videos to learn more about the field.

In a couple weeks I'll be in a country where getting hardware may be more expensive, so I wanted to consider whether or not I will need new components before I learn more.

These are my specs:

Ryzen 7 2700 3.2

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

1TB Hard drive

I'm already planning to get an external hard drive just because 1TB isn't enough, but should I consider getting more RAM? I'm running Kali in a VM, and am unsure if I'll be slowed down by the 4GB of RAM I allocated to it. I could bump it up to 8GB, but want to make sure I can use my computer in the background while doing whatever I need to in my Kali VM.

Just wanna make sure I am prepared before I move. I don't want to needlessly upgrade, but if it may be necessary I'd rather do it now. Any thoughts on if I should upgrade to 32GB of RAM or if there's anything else I should consider?

submitted by /u/TheNomadicAspie
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/2O72DD4

Comments