How are physical addresses found when IP address is exposed?

I posted something similar in another subreddit, but wanted to get the input from this community as I try to understand how vulnerable I am.

I've been requesting the data from social media companies and making note of the IP addresses they have logged. My question: How are IP addresses like this exploited to find your home address (as seen when people are doxxed, swatted, etc.) when more often than not, it seems like the IP address only links back to the ISP's address?

The most likely reason I've seen--based on the answers I read--was that the IP address can be linked to other breach data that may have exposed both the IP address AND your physical address (e.g. online shopping), but is this the only way...or even the most common way?

Input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

submitted by /u/Killer_Bhree
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3iQcwAj

Comments