Is it possible to hack into someone's phone by calling them?

The reason I'm asking this is that it apparently happened to a friend of my mom. They had ordered food from some website, and were on call with a "representative" while ordering. They were asked to enter their card details into the website and allegedly the scammers transferred around the equivalent of 1400 USD from two different bank accounts. Keep in mind that I live in a country which has mandatory two-factor authentication for every credit/debit card or net banking transaction (meaning one receives an OTP to authenticate every transaction). Apparently it was a series of transfers and the OPTs kept coming and somehow the scammers gained access to them. I'm personally very sceptical of the entire affair but I admit I do not know much about this area. Is such a thing possible, and if it is how so?

I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit to ask such a question so do forgive me if it isn't.

submitted by /u/krystalfire1
[link] [comments]

from hacking: security in practice https://ift.tt/3l6mexW

Comments